Daily Chronicle

Canadian Blood Service at Claremont

Picture of Peter Westhaver
Canadian Blood Service at Claremont
by Peter Westhaver - Wednesday, 1 May 2019, 10:16 AM

Hello, Claremont Community,

For a number of years, Claremont has had the honour of hosting a Canadian Blood Services (CBS) mobile donation site. We are one of only a few schools on the Island to host and we often have over 60 units of blood collected at each clinic. As part of the Young Blood for Life program, Claremont has won the Provincial competition for a number of new donors and number of units collected many times in the past 8 years. We are often in the top 15 of all participating school communities across Canada. 

We are hosting a clinic on Monday, May 13th in our small gym from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. There are still donation times available so we also want to extend an invitation to any parent/guardians. For those that work part-time or have a flexible schedule, there are times during the day.  Unfortunately, CBS has shortened their hours for mobile clinics so there are no afterschool times at this clinic. The permanent site at Uptown is open until 6:00 p.m. Tues-Thurs and on Saturdays.  

Available appointments are between 9:00 am and 1:40 pm

Appointments can be made by replying to mchapman@saanichschools.ca or by booking online at www.blood.ca

Students must be 17yrs to donate.  Canadian Blood Services will pay for a return taxi fare for groups of 3 or more if they are in need of transportation.

The whole process takes about an hour.

I have included a link for a quick eligibility quiz: 
www.blood.ca/en/blood/am-i-eligible/abcs-eligibility

If you answered yes to the travel question let me know where and when you travelled and you may still be eligible to donate. The nurse line at 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283) can also answer any travel or prescription medication questions. Canadian Blood Services has a great website with information on donating:  www.blood.ca

Most of us know someone who has received blood products at some time their life and there is a continual need for donations. BC is a net importer of blood products. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to sign up. 

Thanks 
Maren Chapman mchapman@saanichschools.ca