Eligibility and Requirements for Scholarships

What are the requirements for certain scholarships?

  • Requirements vary with different sponsors but standard requirements include:
    • completing an application form by deadline
    • providing a cover letter
    • composing an essay
    • completing a resume
    • including letter(s) of reference.
  • Qualifications may include a combination of attributes such as academic achievement, a standard of skills development, community service, and affiliation by family, employment, culture, or interest.

How can I learn which scholarship I’m eligible for? Do we need certain conditions to get a scholarship?

  • Read the criteria specifically created for each scholarship.

How can I be more eligible for scholarships?

  • Achieve your highest possible academic grades.
  • Participate for a long time and do your best in many leadership and community service activities.

Does it make a difference if I’ve been in extra-curricular activities?

  • Extra curricular activities are often required assets to many scholarships' criteria although some scholarships require no extracurricular activities.
  • However, many scholarships’ criteria require extracurricular activities that focus on volunteerism, leadership, and service.

How important are grade 10 marks for scholarships?

  • Grade 10 marks may be useful for the few community scholarships offered to grade 10s; however, these scholarships usually acknowledge the younger student’s community service rather than academic achievements.
  • Scholarships for graduating students usually require only grade 12 marks.

Will I have to take a scholarship exam?

  • Entrance scholarships almost always require that EN12, including provincial exam mark, be used as part of the calculations of the admission average.

How well do I have to do on Grade 12 provincial exams to qualify for a scholarship?

  • Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, EN12 is the only required provincial exam. As such, the EN12 provincial exam grade will have an effect only if the scholarship sponsor requires that a combined final grade, and not just the school grade, is used for calculating an admission average.

What makes up a good scholarship essay? Tips?

  • See Mr. Cannon for tips provided by the University of British Columbia scholarship selection committee and the SMU website.

As an international student, can I extend my programme, graduate and have a scholarship for university?

  • In general, questions related to international students can be referred to Mr. Mitchell and Mrs. Heppell, the counsellors responsible for International Students. Mr. Cannon can also assist if they are unavailable
  • Most universities regard international students equal to Canadian students for consideration of entrance scholarships: i.e., entrance scholarships are available to Canadian and International students.
  • Some universities will have scholarships available exclusively to International students.

How do I calculate my G.P.A.?

  • The method for calculating a G.P.A. depends on the donor. Some scholarships require a G.P.A. based on all courses taken in grade 12 whereas others require only EN12 and 3 academic 12 courses. Check criteria.
  • Most entrance scholarships require a calculation of the average of the marks for your courses required for admission. In most cases, this would include English 12 and three other “Academic 12s”.

How do I get my transcripts?

  • To receive your Claremont transcript for scholarship applications:
    • Ask at the front office for a stamped, signed and sealed copy.
  • To receive the official paper copy of the Ministry of Education transcript:
    • The Ministry’s official transcript will be mailed to students’ home address.
    • Students will need to authorize the Ministry of Education to electronically transfer you transcript during your grade 12 year so that the PSIs can confirm your grades for admission.
    • The transcript is usually electronically transferred through the B.C. Ministry of education website once the site is open, midway through the school year for student authorization. You will need your P.E.N. (i.e., personal education number). Your P.E.N. is printed on your report cards and is available from a counsellor.

Last modified: Friday, 9 December 2016, 12:45 PM