News forum

ENGLISH 9: Monday, May 26

Picture of Shannon Tong
ENGLISH 9: Monday, May 26
by Shannon Tong - Monday, 26 May 2014, 11:46 AM

Well done class!  Your presentations and posters were very thorough.  I enjoyed hearing about your topics!  And as I mentioned in class, this is the first class that I've had in a very long time where every single group was prepared and ready to go.  

Homework:

• complete chapter questions for 5 - 7 (listed below)
  • read chapters 8 & 9

Chapter 5 

1. What characteristics of Virgil is emphasized by his readion to Gillespie's outburst?

2. Who is Frank Schubert? Over what issue do he and Gillespie come into conflict? How does he finally convince Gillespie of the worth of using Virgil on the case?

3. Discuss the significance of the following quotes:

(a) To Gillespie's intense relief, he didn't smell

(b) “If Chief Morris asked me to,” Tibbs replied promptly, “I'd go to England and look for Jack the Ripper.”

(c) “They had a murder here this morning. They don't know what to do about it, so they're using me for a fall guy.”

(d) “I don't want to be conspicuous.”

(e) “I can give you some good references,” Tibbs answered. “They're in California. San Quentin.”

4. Discuss the conflict in Sam's mind as the chapter ends.

Chapter 6

1. Describe the irony of the interview between Oberst and Tibbs. Why does Oberst finally accept Virgil?

2. For what was Oberst previously arrested?

3. How does Gillespie react to Virgil's request for the release of Harvey Oberst? Why?

Chapter 7 

1. Discuss the irony of Gillespie's statement, “It had been his own idea to check Kaufmann's alibi and he didn't want to tip his hand to anyone.”

2. How does Ralph come into prominence in this chapter? Give Gillespie's opinion of Ralph and his ability. What is the reader's impression of Ralph and his testimony?

3. Comment on the significance of Gottschalk's parting remark: “That's a relief; I wish all the cops were like you. And if I may say so without offence, I'm glad to see the democracy has hit the South in something besides the political sense.”

4. How efficient does Gillespie feel Tibbs was in his investigation of Mr. Gottschalk? How is the blundering bully, Gillespie, once again made to “look the fool” by Virgil?